Being fans of the soap Eastenders it has recently been revealed in the various news outlets that showbiz star June Brown who plays everyones favourite character Dot Branning is going blind. June stated that she is losing her eye sight. She rarely goes to showbiz events as she struggles to recognise people and does not want others to think she was rude.
June Brown is suffering from an age related condition known as Macular Degeneration. Feel free to read our in depth article on macular degeneration here:
Key Facts of Macular Degeneration:
- Macular Degeneration is the leading cause of blindness in the UK.
- The condition affects the macula the area behind the eye needed for central vision to view fine details e.g reading.
- Risk factors include age, being a smoker and family history.
- Prevention means giving up smoking, eating a healthy balanced diet and exercising.
- An eye examination can detect if you have macular degeneration.
Importance of Eye Testing and Macular Degeneration
Macular Degeneration is the leading cause of blindness in the over 60s so it is imperative that you have an eye test at your local optician. If you have been diagnosed Macular Degeneration it is important that you have regular eye test so the optician can see if there have been further changes to your vision.
If you need further information do not hesitate to contact us.